Thursday, July 17, 2014

Recording is a Process

I was asked a while ago to do a blog post about my recording process. If you have been keeping up with my blog, you'll know that I do pretty much everything related to my music; booking, promotion, recording, etc., myself. I recorded my last two albums by myself, and mixed them myself too. I did however, get my latest album, "Human Conditions," mastered professionally (wonderful work by Darren Crisp). I highly recommend hiring a professional to master your recording, if you wish to distribute it online or sell hard copies.

In previous years, it was much more difficult for musicians to record themselves, and most people either did a low fi, 8 track type recording, or they went into a professional studio. But with today's programs, such as logic or pro-tools, it's much easier, and much more cost efficient, for musicians to record themselves. I also prefer a sound in between a low-fi and professional sound. Professional recording studios often produce recordings that sound a little too polished for my personal liking. I like a little bit of home-made feel. So, if you're an aspiring recording artist, or you'd just like to experiment and record yourself for fun, here's a little bit of direction on how to get started.

EQUIPMENT:
Here's a list of all the equipment you'll need to record an album, Candy Lee style:

1. A Mac computer- I have an iMac, but I've seen people record using, Mac laptops, such as the Macbook Pro. I've not tried recording on a PC, and don't know anyone else who has, but I'm sure it's possible with the right program.

2. Recording software -(I used Garageband for my first album, and upgraded to Logic for my second).

3. A USB interface- I use a simple M-Audio Fast Track. It has one input for a mic, and one for a guitar. There is also an input for headphones, but I just plugged my headphones directly into my computer.

4. A decent mic- I use an Audio-Technica cardioid capacitor microphone. My model is the AT2035. It's just under $200. You can pay more money for a better mic, but if you don't have a real, sound proof recording studio, it doesn't make sense to.

You'll also need the accessories to go with your mic, to keep it in place, and keep it protected from jostling, etc., during the recording process, such as:
- boom mic stand
- shock mount (Mine came with my microphone. I believe they usually do.)
- mic (or xlr) cable




I also use a pop filter, which protects vocal recordings from harsh "s" or "p" sounds. The pop filter will just mount on to your mic stand, and be placed in between your mouth and the mic.








5. A decent pair of headphones- I have Shure studio headphones that are okay. I'd like to find some that do a better job of isolating sound in and out of the headphones. For recording purposes, close-backed headphones are preferred. These headphones keep the sound from the track you're hearing in your headphones from bleeding through to mic as you're recording. Unfortunately, during mixing and postproduction, it's recommended to use open-backed headphones for a more natural sound.
5. An instrument- which ever yours may be. If it's acoustic, record it via mic. I have an electric/acoustic guitar, meaning that I can plug it in for shows for better sound quality through the PA and more freedom in my range of motion (rather than being stuck right in front of a mic for my guitar amplification). If you have an electric/acoustic guitar, I recommend recording via mic, rather than plugging direct through the built in pickup. The sound is much better and richer. Some people both mic and plug in to record their acoustic/electric guitars. Some people use two microphones to get an even richer sound. There are a bunch of recording techniques out there. The best thing to do is research online, or get some how-to books on home recording, and then experiment with positioning of the mic to your guitar, to see what sounds the best for your particular guitar or instrument, which produces the sound you're looking for, etc.

I did record some electric instruments on both of my albums- bass guitar, and electric guitar. For those, obviously, I plugged them in direct to my audio interface.

PROCESS:
If you go into a studio, or you have an amazing home studio that is sound proofed, with multiple sound proof rooms, you'll have the ability to record live with your band members. If you don't, you will have sound bleed, and won't be able to re-record over, or "punch in," any mess-ups on any particular instrument or vocals. If your band is that practiced, and tight that you can record everything in one take, more power to ya! I recorded so many different musicians on this album that aren't in my band, and a lot of the instrumentation was being written as we recorded. May of the performers were just improving on the album. Plus, I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to recording my own guitar and vocals and will do multiple takes of each until I get them right, so I prefer to record in layers, which means that I record each instrument separately, one at a time, one instrument per track.

SETTING UP:
My set up is quite simple. It all revolves around access to my computer. I need to be able to play my guitar one second, and click the mouse, or use the keyboard the next. Usually if I'm recording guitar, I keep it in my lap, as I click on the mouse to start or stop the track, etc.

Firstly, though, I plug my interface into the USB, in my Mac. Then I plug my cable into the instrument or mic and into the interface. My mic is phantom powered, so there is a phantom power switch on the interface that needs to be switched on. (Note: if you buy a phantom powered mic, make sure you have an interface that can handle it!)

Don't forget to plug in your headphones, or you will get a terrible feedback from your mic and your computer speakers!

When I record acoustic guitar, I set up the mic so that it is level with the sound hole of the guitar, then I move it over a few inches up the neck of the guitar. Placing the mic directly in front of the sound hole will produce a sound that's way to boomy. Again, experiment with the positioning of the mic to your guitar and see what works best for you.

When I record vocals, I place the mic level with my mouth, I place the pop filter in front of the mic, and I sing into the mic about a hand's distance away (the hand is completely spread out from thumb, to pinky). When you are recording, be sure to watch if any of your vocals or instruments are "peaking out." If the signal is too strong, it causes a distorted sound and sometimes clips the sound. Make sure that your signal is strong but never clipping. There should be a light on your interface that lights up if you are clipping the sound.

I can't really go into all of the details of setting up Logic, as it is pretty complex, and I'm still a beginner at it. Plus, if you have a different program, it wouldn't be of any use to you. The best thing to do if a program is new to you is to look up how-to videos on YouTube. That's how I learned Logic. I think it's a bit more direct, faster, and easier for me as a visual learner, than reading an entire book on Logic. My favorite how-to videos on Logic are from Mitchel Pigsley on YouTube. Sometimes simply Google-ing your question is even more effective. If you have Logic, and have any questions for me, feel free to leave me a comment and I'll do my best to answer.


RECORDING IN LAYERS:

When recording in layers it is best to use a "click track." A click track is basically a metronome that gives little ticks in your headphones to keep you in time. If you plan on punching in, a click track is the best way to go. It makes it easier to repeat sections also (I do this with backing vocals, such as oohs and ahs, so that I don't have to sing them in each new section of the song where I want them to go). If all of your tracks are in time, everything should sync up, if you're punching in over a mess up, or copying and pasting tracks you'd like to repeat.

Once I've got my click track set up, I record what's called a "scratch track." This is basically a rough draft of vocals and guitar (just sang and played in the same track) to begin with, which will latter be scrapped. Guitar and vocals will be recorded better later. On "Human Conditions," I recorded scratch tracks so that the drummer could lay down his beats first.

This is the order in which I record my tracks.

1. scratch track
2. drums
3. bass
4. guitar
5. vocals
6. supplemental instruments

I usually like to get my rhythm section good and tight before I record my guitar. I like to be able to follow drums and bass. (I may even edit a note or two on drums or bass if there is anything that is particularly off). I feel that the music flows better that way, and it's actually easier for me to record. I record my vocals before any other supplemental instruments because in my music, the vocals are the most important. I have many layers of vocals and want to make sure that those vocals are not covered up by other instruments. However, most bands will record vocals last.

***I was lucky in that both the upright bass player and the string player on "Human Conditions" recorded themselves and had their own recording set up. I'm not sure if it would have turned out as good as it did. I do know that the upright bassist had both a mic and a pick up to record. The string player did record in layers, but I think he had a multiple mic situation also.

MIXING:

Mixing is a whole separate beast. It requires a tuned ear and a lot of patience. It's not something I can explain or do a tutorial on. It's all about listening, and learning. I just try to create a sound that allows each instrument to be heard, and turn up the vocals so that they just rest on top of the music, and aren't blaring over the music or lost behind the music.

I also make good use of panning, which is positioning the instruments toward right and left speakers to create a more distinct and full sound. If everything is positioned in the center, it sounds muddy. I normally put drums and bass in center, then pan the guitar and other instruments. I put the main vocals in center and pan the harmonies and backing vocals so they are present but not overbearing. I listen to the recording on multiple sound systems over and over again, until I get the sound that is the best across the systems.

There's also the issue of equalizing (EQ), which takes a lot of patience and fine tuning, but is very important. You want to make sure that each instrument can be heard- the high instruments have enough treble that they stand out, but not so much that the frequency hurst your ears; the bass has enough bass to be heard and rounds out the over all sound of the mix, but doesn't sound boomy. Take the unnecessary frequencies in each instrument out to clean up the sound, such as the treble out of the low instruments like bass and cello, and the bass out of the high instruments, like guitar and mandolin. It also depends on how many instruments are in the mix, as to how you EQ the instruments. It's all about the overall sound, rather than EQing the instruments so that they sound good individually.

A good mix also uses a small amount of compression and reverb.

Again, I recommend watching as many tutorial videos on the subject as possible, especially ones that are specific to the program you'll be using.


EXAMPLE:

Here's an example of a simple recording that I video taped to show how layering works. Thanks for reading my blog, and let me know if you have any questions. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd like to help you get started if I can!




2 comments:

  1. Very cool and nicely detailed. As far as headphones go, I like the Direct Sound Extreme Isolation Headphones. They block outside noises well and also keep the click track from bleeding out of the phones and into the mics. Not as good for headphone mixing though as they're a little "boxy" sounding. And they're under a hundred dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, nice. I'll have to check out those headphones! Thanks, Roy! And thanks for reading my blog :)

    ReplyDelete