Friday, May 2, 2014

Little Victories

Tonight, I played at Wasabi. I love that place. As far as restaurant gigs go, it's one of the best in town, as far as compensation and accommodations. I always get to eat some bomb-ass sushi afterward. The crowd there, however, usually doesn't pay much attention, as is the case with most restaurant crowds. At least, not when I play solo.

I've got a theory about dinner music, that the more people you have in your band, the more likely you are to attract peoples' attention, and the more likely they are to listen. It may have something to do with more energy in the music with more instruments, or more energy in the stage presence between the players. Either way, it seems that more members = more attention. BUT people aren't really there to see the music at restaurants anyway. Customers are there to eat and socialize. Musicians at restaurant gigs are mostly there to create an ambience, as background music. I always say, "I get paid to be ignored." But I'm not too bothered by it. I get it, though it is nice to have a few audience members pay attention, make eye contact with you every once in a while, and clap a little after a song- until they realize that no one else is clapping. When I first started playing restaurants I was really hurt that no one clapped after my songs. But you get used to it. It's kind of just an added bonus when people do.

At my gig tonight, that was pretty much how it went. There were a few couples who sat next to each other to face me, instead of sitting across from each other. I had a few people clap here and there. While I was on my break, a few staff members told me I sounded great. A few people tipped me a couple bucks, and one person bought a CD. I'm always surprised by who will and won't tip me or buy CDs. A lot of times the people clapping, who you are sure are digging it and must want to buy a CD, just give you a thumbs up on the way out. And then people who don't seem to be paying much attention at all will tip you and buy CDs. One time I was playing at a restaurant and I felt like this family was just talking over me the whole time. They came up to me after my set, told me they love live music, and bought CDs AND t-shirts! You just never know.

I was a bit uncomfortable at this gig. After the sun went down, it was quite chilly. I had to put on both jackets that I had in the car. I don't know if it's because I'm small, or because I'm from Florida, but I start shivering pretty easily. It messed with my singing for sure. And my fingertips were a little numb, so playing the guitar was challenging by the end of it. Not to mention, the music across the street at Jose's is always over powering, and sometimes makes it to where I can't hear myself, especially with the patio customers trying to talk over the Jose's music and me. But I stuck it out! Played until my time was up!

But even with all of the things that go into the awkwardness of restaurant gigging, I still ended up having a pretty awesome night. A gentleman maybe around my age, dressed in a nice shirt and slacks came up to the gate to listen. He clapped after the song I was playing was finished, and stuck around for another. I thought the whole thing was a little strange. I kept peering over my side bangs with my peripheral vision, trying to figure out the situation. He didn't look the part of a music lover (But I guess I'm not really sure I know what I think a music lover looks like. A hippy? That's a really bad stereotype). I thought he might have just been drunk and patronizing me. I looked over after playing the 2nd song he stuck around for, and he was gone... until, he came in through the front door and onto the patio to listen to one more song. When my song was finished, he bought BOTH of my CDs. He said he heard me from the street and had to come over, and that I had a distinct, and pleasant sound. It totally made my night! So much so, that I had to blog about it. One more little victory for Candy Lee!!! It's moments like that which remind me of why I'm doing music. It's not for everyone. It's for those who choose to listen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment